Preparation is key in high performance sport and the Scorchers do everything they can off the field to ensure the best possible performance on it.
The Club ensures it has the right people around the squad to get the job done and, in this Scorchers Stretch Class series, some of those staff pass on the inside info to you.
In our third edition, Scorchers Strength and Conditioning Coordinator Joey Rotundo takes you through stretches for the thoracic and lumbar areas.
As with all of these activities, please take care, follow the instructions and only undertake at your own risk.
As well as being a crucial part of the body for cricket players, everyone should maintain good thoracic and lumbar health.
From sitting at a desk and computer all day, to running around on your feet, thoracic and lumbar issues can cause difficulties.
This simple stretch can go a long way to ensuring good thoracic and lumbar health.
Stretch It Out
1. Using a foam roller, lie on the roller with it running parallel with your spine.
2. Extend your arms straight out, 90 degrees from your body, and hold.
1. Turn the foam roller around 90 degrees and lie with it running across your shoulder blades.
2. Place your hands behind your head to support your neck, making sure it doesn’t take all the weight of supporting your head.
3. Slowly extend your shoulders and head back over the roller and hold, using pain as your guide.