Cricket network logo

Mitch Marsh and Jhye Richardson // Getty Images



26 January 2021

The Perth Scorchers have fallen by six runs to the Brisbane Heat in their final match of the 2020-2021 KFC Big Bash League regular season today, Tuesday 26 January at the Adelaide Oval.

A herculean effort from Mitchell Marsh took the run chase to the final ball of the match and so nearly stole the game of the Scorchers.

Marsh smashed up his 10th BBL half century to revive the Scorchers’ run chase, hitting an unbeaten 56 from 26 balls, including seven boundaries.

With the Scorchers in trouble at 5-94, Marsh’s tremendous ball striking threatened to steal the game at the death.

Perth piled on the runs in the final five overs, taking 64 from overs 16-19 to give themselves a shot at victory with 17 required from the last over.

Jhye Richardson (13*) struck a boundary early in the 20th over, but the Scorchers fell agonisingly short, needing six from the final ball to force a super over.

After winning the toss and electing to bowl, Jason Behrendorff (2-30) made the early breakthrough before Chris Lynn (54) and Marnus Labuschagne (46) steadied the innings for the Heat.

With the Heat sitting 2-96 through the first 10 overs, a big total looked likely before the Scorchers fought back.

Andrew Tye (2-23) led the fightback with the ball for Perth and was the pick of the bowlers as the Scorchers tightened the screws to stop the flow of runs in the second half of the innings.

The Scorchers' chase was on track early with openers Jason Roy (41) and Liam Livingstone (32) going on to register a 50-run partnership from 31 balls.

However, Labuschagne’s three wickets through the middle overs had the Scorchers chasing the game.

Marsh tried his best to produce some magic, combining with Richardson for a 49-run partnership off just 22 balls.

Despite the loss, Perth are guaranteed a double chance and may still host Saturday night’s Qualifier at Optus Stadium should the Sixers fail to win a point against the Stars.

The BBL10 Finals fixture will be released at the conclusion of the match.

After the match, Andrew Tye said;

“We probably didn’t look in it for much of our batting innings, it was an incredible effort to get within one hit of winning.

“Obviously you’re never happy with your performance when you lose but we’ll dust ourselves off and get ready for wherever our final is.

“We fought back with the ball today and it goes to show, even when we’re not having our best day, we can still strangle teams.

“We can’t wait to get home and play a final in front of our fans at Optus Stadium.”