Cricket network logo

Richo claimed the wicket of Alex Ross

Scorchers Fall In Heart-Stopping Loss To Thunder

26 January 2020

The Perth Scorchers have ended their KFC Big Bash League regular season in heartbreaking circumstances, falling just short of a remarkable win on the road against Sydney Thunder.

Jhye Richardson starred with the ball as the Scorchers defended a modest total but the Thunder survived a late barrage of pressure to overcome a revised DLS total of 96 to win with two balls to spare.

The defeat leaves the Scorchers needing Hobart Hurricanes and Brisbane Heat to lose their remaining matches to reach the KFC Big Bash League finals series.

Josh Inglis started the Scorchers’ batting innings on the front foot hitting three early boundaries before the hosts began to ramp up the pressure.

Four wickets fell before Cameron Bancroft and Tim David dug in to form a strong middle-order partnership.

Bancroft (35*) scored a well-driven six and some creative fours, while David punched a quick-fire 13* before a rain delay halted their momentum, putting a stop to the first innings with the Scorchers on 4-99 off 15 overs.

After an extended delay the Thunder came out to bat chasing a revised total 96 to win off 12 overs.

Jhye Richardson was on song early with the ball, while South African paceman Morne Morkel made his Scorchers bow, but it was the typically effective Fawad Ahmed who claimed the first wicket of the innings in the eighth over.

The Thunder looked set to cruise to victory until the Scorchers mounted a valiant fight-back as the runs dried up and the wickets began to fall.

Inglis kick-started the challenge when he ran out Usman Khawaja with a brilliant piece of wicket keeping, before a four-run over from Ahmed in the 10th had the Thunder scrambling for composure.

Richardson backed up Ahmed’s efforts, clean-bowling Ross for 6 and leaking just two runs in the 11th over to set up a grandstand finish.

The Thunder needed 12 off the last 6 balls and Kelly stepped forward to try and close out the contest but Chris Morris guided the hosts to victory, eclipsing the required total with two balls to spare.

Scorchers Head Coach Adam Voges said the rain delay was a crucial factor in determining the winner in a tightly contested game.

“Unfortunately the rain came and probably changed the dynamic of the game,” Voges said.

“They were able to target the early overs with the new ball with such a short chase.

“If we had our time again I think we might have gone a bit harder in our power play.

“We were looking good for around 140 or 150 in 20 overs, and I think that would have been a tough chase for the Thunder.

“It wasn’t to be (with) a revised total, and unfortunately we were on the wrong end.”